Friday 14 February 2014

Growing "Daun Kesum"

I'm into experimenting of late
especially with herbs and veggies.
I'm not giving up on flowers in fact choosing the right flowers
to go with the herbs that I intend to plant.
In other words, companion planting.

"Daun Kesum", a local herb, is used a lot in my cooking so I'm quite keen to
have a pot of this in my garden.
If you can see at the photo below the leaves are quite bruised
because I bought this from the supermarket.
Instead of throwing it away after cooking
I'm propagating it.

I soaked the stems of leftover daun kesum overnight..
check out how it rooted! 


I cut up the stems between nodes using kitchen scissors 
and I got 8 rooted sticks to plant.


After one month since rooting,
Ta-daaa!!!
But only one seedling is growing which is good enough for me :)


The rest of the stems got eaten up by tiny white snails :(

I have failed many times to propagate this plant before.
Now I'm happy with just this one, 
which I believe will grow big and 
produce more leaves!  

All the best to you :)
Happy Gardening! 


12 comments:

  1. how nice to see a few survive through cuttings.... and it's very dependent on water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one thing I learnt...it needs 'ladung' of water :)

      Delete
  2. It's flourishing! I hope it continues to grow well for you. Growing herbs and edibles, a wonderful new challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen, it is an achievement to be able to start my own herb garden! What's more when I'm doing it within the tiny space that I have here in my condo. Looking forward to experiment more edibles! Thanks Karen :)

      Delete
  3. You have success Ash! When this seedling grow you will cut new stems, 'it's not an evening' as we say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good saying you have there Nadezda! Thank you for your wise words and motivation. Will I be having green fingers soon? We will see.. :)

      Delete
  4. Niech Ci pięknie rośnie, bo dałaś im tą szansę. Pozdrawiam.
    May you grow beautifully, because you gave them the chance. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giga! You always have beautiful words to motivate me :)

      Delete
  5. I would like to start my own herb garden too and daun kesom would be the first on my list. I used copious amounts of it in assam laksa and assam pedas ikan. Sometimes when you need it badly, its not available or you find a pathetic looking bundle with wilted, decomposing leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean and that is why I never gave up trying to sprout this. I'm from Melaka and you know how our assam pedas is the talk of the town! No matter how well you cook it but without this herb it gets "nowhere" babe. Wishing you success too :)

      Delete
    2. Hey! if assam pedas is your signature dish, what about sharing the recipe? ;)

      Delete
    3. Hahaha!!! My recipe 'campak-campak' only, I don't really measure the ingredients used :)

      Delete

Thanks for your lovely words...